A Good Hypnotherapist

0.0 Introduction
0.05 Hypnotist, hypnotherapist, or hypno-psychotherapist?
0.21 The hypnotist
1.12 The hypnotherapist
1.41 The hypno-psychotherapist
1.55 Training levels
3.34 How do you choose?
4.50 Where to get advice

Grab your PDF here!

Alan Patching here – back with another edition of Transforming Minds, and in this session we are going to address the matter of choosing the therapist for you.

In this sense I am talking about between a hypnotist, a hypnotherapist and a hypno-psychotherapist … and they are very, very different. Let’s explain…

A hypnotist is someone whose experienced and knowledgeable in hypnotism. They could be a stage hypnotist, or a clinical person, but essentially their main training is about putting people into a state of hypnosis or guiding them into a state of hypnosis. A hypnotist, per-se, may not have experience in using therapy, clinical therapy within the state of hypnosis.

Indeed, in the United States virtually every State differs in who can and cannot call themselves a hypnotherapist, so what I’m doing on this blog is largely for the Australian and, to an extent, the British observers or watchers of the blog.

So, here in Australia, the hypnotist is someone who is skilled at putting people into a state of hypnosis but may not have extensive – if any – therapeutic skills.

An Hypnotherapist, on the other hand, is someone who knows the skills and competencies of hypnosis but also has learnt an amount of therapy. Now, that could be as limited as dealing with cigarette smoking, dealing with weight and dealing with stress management or it could be far more comprehensive. It’s very, very important that you are careful in choosing a hypnotherapist because of this point, so I’ll come back to that in a little while.

Now, ‘hypno-psychotherapist’ is a term you’ll see used more in Australia but probably without good reason in a lot of cases. The term comes out of England and let me give you an idea of the English basis for it. An hypnotherapist in England would need to do something in the order of 600-700 hours of face-to-face training and it’s much the same in Australia – between the 500-700 hours of face-to-face training that the various (professional) associations would require and as I said we will address that more towards the end of the blog.

An hypno-psychotherapist in England is required to do 2,000 hours of training and that also requires a number of hours of self-therapy. In other words, you have to undergo psychotherapy with a trained and registered therapist before you can be called a hypno-psychotherapist or a psychotherapist. In addition to that, they have to undertake a fairly prolong period, 75 hours, of supervised training in the British system at a rate of 6 to 1. So, in other words, to get registered, you’ve got something in the order of 450 practise hours in which 75 have been under supervision of a qualified clinical supervisor, as I am. So, these are the distinctions: I know of no course outside of Universities in Australia that gets anything like 2,000 hours face-to-face training and most University courses don’t go close to that either. So, the term hypno-psychotherapist, which is someone very skilled in hypnotherapy and very skilled at practise and credited in psychotherapy is pretty much a British concept.
So, how do you choose? Well both the Australian Hypnotherapists Association and the Australian Society of Clinical Hypnosis have quite rigid standards about who can be a member and in both cases there is an ‘associate’ level of membership which requires roughly 150 of face-to-face training and those sort of people would definitely be equipped to help you with relaxation for stress, smoking problems, with weight management problems and certain other minor disorders.

Now, clinical or professional membership of both those organisations requires about four times that face-to-face training and these people will be more skilled in dealing with advanced therapeutic concerns.

As I said, the British system goes into a far more extensive training that isn’t available anywhere in Australia and in fact, the training I did constitutes 50% of a master’s degree and with accreditation from British Universities. There’s nothing in Australia in the diploma or advanced diploma areas that goes anywhere close to that. That’s sort of training equips people to do hypnotherapy and psychotherapy across a broad range of counseling psychotherapy as a stand alone, and to combine the both of them on a integrative basis.

So, if you need some advice on who you should be seeing about your particular problem why not visit the websites of the Australian Society of Clinical Hypnosis and/or the Australian Hypnotherapists Association. And, of course, the AHA runs the full registration of clinical hypnotherapists in Australia, so you can find out someone in your neighbourhood who is registered and able to help you from the AHA website. I hope that clarifies the differences for you.

I look forward to seeing you on another blog post, really soon. Thanks for watching, Alan Patching. Bye.

Speak Your Mind